Sprouted Buckwheat Salad
This fibre-rich salad is deliciously light, but that does not mean it will leave you feeling hungry! You will need to start sprouting the buckwheat 3-4 days in advance.
- 100g raw buckwheat
- 2 handfuls spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 handful fresh dill, chopped
- 1 handful fresh chives, chopped
- 1 handful rocket
Soak the buckwheat in plenty of cold water overnight - it will roughly double the size.
The next day, place the soaked buckwheat in a fine-mesh sieve/strainer and rinse with cold water to get rid of any starchiness. Drain. Place the buckwheat in the large glass jar to sprout. Rinse and drain at least 3 times a day. The sprouts should be ready in 3 days, depending on the weather - it might take less time in warmer climates.
When you are ready to make the salad, combine the buckwheat sprouts with the spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, dill and chives. Serve on a bed of the rocket with the dill vinaigrette.
- 150ml olive oil
- 75ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well until emulsified. Shake or stir again before serving.